I really enjoyed my Second Life appearance on “Government’s Place in Virtual Worlds and Online Communities,” which was hosted by Metanomics. You can watch the entire segment on the Metanomics site. But the folks at Metanomics have also posted 6 clips from the show at YouTube that highlight some of the topics we discussed. Here’s the list of clips and the videos:
Finally, here’s some of the background material I referenced during the show:
- “Parental Controls and Online Child Protection: A Survey of Tools & Methods [VERSION 4.0]“
- “Parents, Kids & Policymakers in the Digital Age: Safeguarding Against ‘Techno-Panics’“, Inside ALEC, July 2009.
- “Five Online Safety Task Forces Agree: Education, Empowerment & Self-Regulation Are the Answer,” PFF Progress on Point 16.13, July 8, 2009
- “Cyberbullying Legislation: Why Education is Preferable to Regulation,” by Berin Szoka and Adam Thierer, PFF Progress on Point 16.12, June 19, 2009
- “COPPA 2.0: The New Battle over Privacy, Age Verification, Online Safety & Free Speech,” by Berin Szoka and Adam Thierer, PFF Progress on Point 16.11, May 21, 2009
- Web 2.0, Section 230, and Nozick’s “Utopia of Utopias”, Jan. 13, 2009, Tech Liberation Front