While preparing my latest Forbes column, “Does the Internet Need a Global Regulator?” I collected some excellent resources. I figured I would just post all the links here since others might find them useful as we work our way up to the big U.N. International Telecommunication Union (ITU) World Conference on International Telecommunications (WCIT) in Dubai this December. Please let me know of other things that I should add to this resource database. I’ve divided the database into “General Resources” and “Opinion Pieces”:
- World Conference on International Telecommunications (WCIT-12) official website
- White House statement on WCIT: “Ensuring an Open Internet,” by Lawrence Strickling, Philip Verveer, and Daniel Weitzner, May 2, 2012.
- Internet Society “What is the WCIT?” F.A.Q.
- Internet Society’s Scoop.It page curating news on WCIT
- Center for Democracy & Technology briefing paper by : “ITU Move to Expand Powers Threatens the Internet,” March 12, 2012.
- David A. Gross & Ethan Lucarelli, “The 2012 World Conference On International Telecommunications: Another Brewing Storm Over Potential UN Regulation Of The Internet,” November 2011.
- Michael Joseph Gross, “World War 3.0,” Vanity Fair, May 2012.
- [BOOK] Milton Mueller – Networks and States: The Global Politics of Internet Governance (2010).
- Internet Governance Project blog.
- [RADIO] National Public Radio: “Who — If Anyone — Should Control The Internet?” January 12, 2012.
- Robert McDowell, “The U.N. Threat to Internet Freedom” Wall Street Journal, February 21, 2012.
- ITU Secretary General Dr. Hamadoun Touré, “Securing the Future Benefits of Technology,” The Guardian (U.K.), March 6, 2012. [+ a recent speech on the issue.]
- Andrea Renda, “The U.N., Internet Regulator?” Wall Street Journal Europe, April 25, 2012.
- Gordon Crovitz, “The U.N. Wants to Run the Internet,” Wall Street Journal, May 6, 2012
- Adam Thierer, ”Does the Internet Need a Global Regulator?” Forbes, May 6, 2012
- Gregory Francis, “UN Moves on Internet Governance: Latest Dispatch,” CircleID, April 26, 2012.
- Aspen Institute, Toward a Single Global Digital Economy: The First Report of the Aspen Institute IDEA Project, (April 24, 2012).
- Edward J. Black, “UN’s ITU Could Become Next Internet Freedom Threat,” Huffington Post, March 9, 2012.
- Jerry Brito, “The Case Against Letting the U.N. Govern the Internet,” Time TechLand, February 13, 2012.
- Tom Tauke, Verizon, Speech at New Democrat Network Internet Governance Event, April 19, 2012
- former Rep. Rick Boucher “U.N. Efforts Put Internet Freedom at Risk,” Politico, May 3, 2012.